25 aug 2008

MAS - Monster aan de stroom

Close to where I'm working at the moment (near the red district and the port of Antwerp), a gigantic building is being built.

It's the MAS - 'Museum aan de stroom' (roughly translated as 'Museum at the stream') and it replaces an ancient - not exceptional, but original -warehouse.

According to the architects, the mayor of Antwerp and probably some other panjandrums.. this building is going be the eye catcher of Antwerp, the missing link between the old and new Antwerp, the bridge between cultures, absolutely more than a museum and a unique meeting spot for all kind of people.
MAS will become a verb! A symbol for this city and the biggest attraction ever for tourists! It will give an extra meaning to our dull daily life as it is almost a House of God!

So, after reading all this (you know I have a tendency to exaggerate :D) you expect it to be tremendous, beautiful, breathtaking, nothing less than top of the bill!

Well, I'm afraid I'm going to spoil all your excitement, because this is what they are giving us..

AND Tadaaaaa (please click on the picture below to see the complete gallery) :

Monster a/d Stroom


Yes indeed, it's a monster!!!!
Even though 'mas' means 'more' in Spanish, they would have done perfectly well with 'menos'!

It should refer to the old industrial warehouses for which Antwerp was known.. And I love those buildings..maybe one of the most beautiful examples is the old Felix warehouse (see pictures below), which is located very near the monster.

Felix pakhuis


In my opinion the stately old buildings I mention here, have absolutely nothing to do with the design of this pile of bricks..(or it must simply be my lack of imagination).

And this piece (written in Dutch, describing a gigantic spiral staircase) makes me think of Guggenheim (or it must be my surplus of imagination :p)

Ok, I'll admit, I'm too critical, it's not even finished yet.. but if this ..euh... thing.. should reflect a proof of good taste, then I'm the Holy Virgin Saint Mary! :D

Aieaieaie,

J.

0 answers: